Flood At The Ant Farm (Black Saint
|The fourth dimension is just one big crazy
do-not-enter clambake jungle of weirdity."
- The Tick
- Willie's Room - (3:20) (Phillip Johnston)
- (8:35) (Phillip Johnston)
- Advertisement For A Dream - (7:31) (Joe Ruddick)
- (They) Call Me Daisy - (5:42) (Phillip Johnston)
- Pontius Pilate Polka - (4:59) (Phillip Johnston)
- The Enduring Heart - (4:21) (Kevin
- Heaven, Hell, or Hoboken - (4:28) (Joe Ruddick)
- Don't Fret, Sweat - (8:49) (Bob DeBellis)
(3:38) (Joe Ruddick)
- Bone - (4:31) (Steve Lacy)
- Hairline - (1:01) (Johnston/Ruddick)
Phillip Johnston - soprano, alto saxophones.
Bob DeBellis - soprano, tenor, baritone saxophones, bass
Joe Ruddick - piano, keyboards, sampler, alto saxophone.
David Hofstra - bass.
- drums, vibraphone, marimba.
Rob Henke -
Ron Horton -
Recorded on July 25, 26, and August 2, 1995, and
Mixed on September 5 and 12, 1995 at Tedesco Studios, NJ.
Engineer: Jon Rosenberg.
Digital Editing and Sequencing on Sept 17, 1995 at Back Pocket,
NYC, Butch Jones, engineer
Produced by Phillip Johnston and Andy Caploe.
Executive Producer: Flavio Bonandrini.
Paintings: Nora Sturges
Liner notes: Francis Davis
"...cuts as a hot knife through stylistic changes. Playing his
dense, witty compositions and charts, they sound like they're
running hurdles set up by a mathematician with a sense of humor
- Gene Santoro, New York Daily News.
"Johnston's fancy riffs and 30-second drills and hot shot
chop-shop stops-out licks all invade the senses
in a dozen turn-on-a-nickel charts."
- Fred Bouchard, Jazz Times.
"Saxophonist Johnston leads his tight and versatile octet through a
dozen tunes that run the gamut from polka and samba to Dixieland-tinged
free jazz. The intricate arrangements leave room for the players to
stretch out, yielding some playful collective improvisation and
infectious solos, especially from Johnston and trombonist Steve Swell."
- John Shiurba, San Francisco Bay Guardian
return to front page