The Unknown (Avant, Avan 037)
|"The past is not dead. It's not even past."
- William Faulkner
- Men's Hands - (8:02)
- Putting Crazy Ideas In Her Head Again - (5:06)
- 20 Gypsy Souls Are Kept Out Of Hell - (5:24)
- There Is Nothing I Will Not Do To Own Her - (8:09)
- But You Forget... - (4:09)
- What Is The Price For Your Silence About My Past? - (4:26)
- A Toast But It's Strange - (3:02)
- No...Not Sick - (3:08)
- It Was Just Something In Here That Stung Like The Lash Of A
Whip - (4:09)
- Nothing Will Happen (2:28)
- Hate Death Hate Love (4:47)
Phillip Johnston - soprano, alto saxophones.
Bob DeBellis - baritone saxophone, bass clarinet, flute, alto
Steve Swell - trombone.
Joe Ruddick - piano, keyboards, sampler.
David Hofstra - bass.
Kevin Norton - drums, vibraphone, percussion.
all music composed by Phillip Johnston
Recorded at Sorcerer Sound NYC.
Mixed at Platinum Island NYC by Jon Rosenberg.
Digital Editing at Sear Sound.
Engineer: Jon Rosenberg
Producer: Phillip Johnston
Executive Producers: Andy Caploe, John Zorn & Disk Union
Associate Producer: Kazunori Sugiyama
Liner notes: Tim Kennedy
"Phillip Johnston, late of the Microscopic Septet, brings this
incarnation of his Big Trouble to one of film's darkest, most
existential features, The Unknown. In contrast to the film's
mostly noir (actually, pre-noir) characteristics, the music is at
times liltingly bright and cheerful, oscillating around haunting
passages but obliterating that hauntedness with a musicality and
verve that take on a life all their own, regardless of the
return to front page